About our Client
A leader in the field of forged steels, the Sorel Forge Plant is a member of the Finkl Steel group. The steel plant has specialized in the manufacture of forged steel parts for 80 years.
Finkl Steel - Sorel is strategically located near major Canadian shipping and road transportation routes. Integrated facilities including steel mill, forge, heat treatment, machining, laboratory, metallurgy and inspection give the company the flexibility to produce a highly diverse range of forged products, weighing up to 27,000 kg (59,000 lbs), who meet the most demanding quotes from their customers.
Their background in metal forging and a strong commitment to technology has made them one of the leaders in the forging industry in North America.
Mission, Vision and Values
Finkl Steel is dedicated to the safe manufacture and on-time delivery of specialty steel forgings and ingots, exceeding the expectations of customers around the world.
The company's growth strategy focuses on consolidating their existing strengths as well as exploring new markets. The values of the company can be summarized as follows: quality, commitment to OSH, excellence, integrity, rigor and transparency.
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources and OHS, the incumbent will provide mobilizing leadership with all sectors of the company. He will be responsible for developing, implementing and ensuring the application of occupational health and safety (OHS) standards, programs and procedures. It will also act as a change agent in strengthening and sustaining the OSH culture.
Additional information :
100 McCarthy, St-Joseph-de-Sorel (Quebec)
Director of Human Resources and OHS
Engineer by training
1 OHS coordinator and 4 union members
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Improve prevention programs and plans that will contribute to a culture of excellence in OHS.
- Ensure the updating, monitoring and maintenance of critical performance indicators (KPIs) and ensure the implementation of initiatives to increase performance at the OHS level.
- Analyze, monitor and inform the management team of trends in accidents, incidents, inspections, audits and corrective actions.
- Play a role of “coach” and adviser in OSH management.
- Manage the event reporting, investigation and analysis program.
- Contribute to the deployment and implementation of various OHS programs and procedures and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Set up activities to educate employees and increase their involvement and promote the adoption of safe behaviors.
- Offer a unifying vision in OHS for the entire company.
- Ensure, with the different levels of the organization, the development of strategies, the application and the development of good OHS practices.
- Participate in the implementation of an OHS structure according to the laws in force and the objectives of the company.
- Ensure the smooth running and holding of health and safety committees (agenda, frequency, corrective measures, etc.)
- Assess the risks of areas of the organization and lead the issuance of policies, procedures, rules and work instructions.
- Visit and inspect work sites from time to time in order to take the pulse of operations and / or support OHS measures.
Qualifications Required Training
- Have completed a bachelor's degree in a field of human resources (with a specialization in OHS), industrial engineering, administration or another relevant field related to the position
- Knowledge of ISO 14001, ISO 45001 standards, directives and specializations ISO auditor certification (an asset)
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience
- Experience in team management in health and safety
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experience in a unionized environment
- Have concrete achievements in strengthening health & safety culture
- Have excellent knowledge of laws, standards and regulations relating to health & safety
- Have a good knowledge of best practices and new trends
- Be oriented on behavioral systems at work according to new trends
- Have expertise in analysis and solution provision at the OHS level
- Bilingualism, French and English, both oral and written
- Passionate about health and safety at work
- Be a team player and act as a unifier
- Knowing how to act with leadership and as a mobilizer of change
- Have ease in planning and managing priorities
- Ability to combine an administrative role and a field role
- Good adaptation capacity
- Aptitudes for strategic thinking - search for original solutions
- Ability to intervene promptly to support department managers in implementing effective corrective and preventive measures
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Oriented towards continuous improvement and process optimization
- Work close to operations
- Knowing how to use political sense
- Sense of objectivity and ethics
The most important challenges of the position
- Make a significant contribution to change by effectively playing the role of an agent of change in the company, while mobilizing employees.
- Review, improve and optimize the processes in place.
- Review existing KPIs.
- Work effectively with all departments of the company in a unifying role and bring innovative ideas and solutions in OHS.
- Work effectively in collaboration with unions, other business units of the company as well as the head office which is based in Chicago.
- Implement the 45001 standard which allows integrated management of OHS; which will require a lot of auditing and observation.
- Advance Cognibox software which is a cutting-edge compliance and risk management solution.
- Maintain and improve the observation program.
Why Join Finkl Steel
- Leader in its sector of activity
- Scope of the challenges
- Organizational culture focused on quality, excellence, collaboration, rigor and occupational health and safety
- Company that places the health, safety and well-being of its employees at the top of its priorities.
- A company that is constantly adapting in a changing environment and that values the evolution and development of new markets.
- Development opportunity in the company
- Excellent employment conditions
- Flexibility in working hours.
Follow TALINKO on LinkedIn and our Website
Only the people selected for an interview will be contacted. We support the principle of employment equity.
TALINKO is a boutique firm specializing in the recruitment of professionals, middle and senior managers with high potential.
We support all our clients and candidates in a constructive and personalized approach.
Please note that the masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.